To: <britdisc@near.me.uk>
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2005 11:37 AM
Subject: [BD] INDOORS!!!

Yes, I know its summer...

Following my recent appointment as Indoor Coordinator, its time I let everyone in on what my plans are.

First, and most important, is to gauge opinion. Since I wasn't elected, I'm going to state what I think my role is and let everyone tell me what they think in a suitably democratic way.

so...

1. To liaise with Uni Coordinator, Winter League folk, other TDs and such about the which dates to run indoors, and to get them publicised early.
2. To hassle folk into offering bids, and to select the winning bids.
3. To set schedules and number of qualifying spots at qualifying tournaments. 4. To generate a minimum standards document for UKU indoor tournaments - most important is providing floor space, 'cos people just won't stay in hotels for relatively little pitch time. 5. To publicise indoors, since there are still a lot of people who love it, and to make sure they and the Juniors get the competitive chances that students get.

And some things I'd like opinions on...

1. I intend to try and run 4 qualifiers and a 16 team nationals. No team will be forced to go to a qualifier in a particular region, but tournaments should be located in vague regions, rather than too close together as happened this year. One near London is vital, something southwest/ Walesish, North/Midlands ish, Scotland. It all depends on bids, so I won't be strict about regions, but I will make an effort to provide a decent spread.

2. I don't intend to run triple elimination as the students now do in qualifying. Personally, I love the format, but it doesn't offer the same pitch time to everyone and therefore I don't think it would be popular at open indoors. I'm willing to be shouted down on that, but I'd be surprised if that's what people wanted. It'll most probably be pools with crossovers or something similar.

3. I think the indoor pull rule needs fixing. There's no reward at all for getting a pull in the pitch; or rather, there's no punishment for it landing out. I reckon a brick to halfway is fair. Too many people now just launch it at the back wall and casually set the defence. (I'd still have it flat and catchable though, < 45 degree tilt).

I'm sure there're things I've forgotten, but I'm equally sure you all won't hesitate to let me know...

Cheers,
Benji