Hi all,
Originally I just replied to Benji - but actually I'd be interested in hearing other peoples veiws on this:

1. I intend to try and run 4 qualifiers and a 16 team nationals.

Sounds good.

2. I don't intend to run triple elimination as the students now do in
qualifying.

Good - keep to the old format: It's worked for years - it's pretty much fair (esp in pitch time) - and it will makes things far less controversial.

3. I think the indoor pull rule needs fixing. There's no reward at all for
getting a pull in the pitch; or rather, there's no punishment for it
landing out. I reckon a brick to halfway is fair.

I actually disagree. There is quite a big benefit to landing pull's in because a good pull can trap your opponent in the corner - against a wall or possibly 2 - and if it's suitably floaty & your teams not lazy then you can get some hard D set straight away- and your at an advantage.

If it lands out of the back - your opponent can walk to the middle of the front of the endzone. This (assuming they're not rubbish) means they have the whole pitch to throw into and you're on the back foot trying to cover both sides of the pitch. The force is less important indoors (compared to outdfoors) due to flippers, etc, being a higher percentage pass.

If you are going to make the punishment for landing a pull out harsher then I feel 1/2 way is far too much. I recon it should be done like Rimini - i.e. walk to the middle of the front of the endzone then a further X steps forward (3-5 sounds suitable). This will give more space for the offensive team to throw a backwards dump pass (as I admit indoor endzone's are small).

Mind you, if a team decides to throw a dump pass indoors off the pull then they're clearly shit and haven't got the inspired visionary ability required to throw the inside-out-double-heel-reverse-spin-no-look-backwards flipper to the zone for the easy score!

They should hence spend less time pondering / complaining about the rules, and more time learning to get better: and then get better.

(That said: I do agree with adam's / the scandonavian approach of letting people drop pulls to encourage quick play... And more flare)

On another completely separte note - I know loads of people (most of my indoor team included) who dont have the time to play every weekend in the summer- and so refuse to pay tournament fee +UKU membership just to take part in the indoor regionals.

Now, for us it's not so much of a problem, because we'd definately qualify for nationals ;-) But still paying for a full years UKU membership when you just want to play in 2 tournaments is quite excessive - which is why we didnt take part this year. Especially when you consider that there are SOOOO many non-UKU indoor events to choose from.

Assuming that there could be other people in this boat (and noting that UKU indoor events these days struggle for numbers when most others dont) - it seems reasonable to me to introduce a much lower UKU rate which only covers you indoors. Obviously full UKU members wouldnt need to pay more to play indoors - just a deal for those who only want to play in the 2 indoor tounaments the whole year.

Sorry -this email turned out longer than I planned. Just finally to mention my thanks to Benji for putting in his own time to sort out the recent problems with the indoor season

Mr Cool
(Mr Men)