From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of peter robert Wright
Sent: 17 August 2005 12:47
To: britdisc@near.me.uk
Subject: [BD] Tour points system

forwarded on behalf of joff - don't reply to him alone please....
-rodders

----------------

What do people think about the points system at the moment?

I think I may well be missing the point, but does anyone else think that
the
current points for each position in the tour seems a bit strange:

For some reason, the differential between each position (after first to
second) alternates between 8 and 10 points.  This means that there are a
lot
of combinations that lead to the same total (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th = 912
=
1st, 2nd, 2nd and 5th)

Now I realise that there is a gag involved in getting as many 2's in the

system as possible and I'm sure that when Si Hill (?) came up with the
system, this joke was extremely amusing.  However, would it not be much
more
sensible to have a system (as most sports that involve multiple
tournaments
- golf, snooker, tennis etc. do) that has an ever decreasing
differential.
In other words the difference between 1st and 2nd is bigger than the
difference between 2nd and 3rd, which in turn is bigger than the
difference
between 3rd and 4th etc.  This reflects the more emphasis that players
who
are still in with a chance of winning put in compared to those who are
playing for places (we've all seen the lower intensity that is often
exhibited in 3 vs 4 play-offs).  We seem to be going some way along this
by
having the 20 point gap between first and second, and then losing the
plot
after that.

Why not go for something like:

2 = 230 (minus 20)
3 = 211 (minus 19)
4 = 193 (minus 18)
5 = 176 (minus 17)
6 = 160 (minus 16)
7 = 145 (minus 15)
8 = 131 (minus 14)

Therefore: 1st, 2nd, 2nd and 5th beats 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Just a thought as it gets rid of a lot of the drawn positions.  If
people
don't like funny numbers, then just have much bigger values and then go
minus 100, minus 95, minus 90 etc etc.

Cheers,

Joff

It has removed 50713 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!