---------- Původní zpráva ----------
Od: Petr Baudis
Komu: Brmlab: Hackerspace Prague (main discussion)
Datum: 11. 3. 2015 14:51:42
Předmět: Re: [Brmlab] Fabtotum

>FYI, if you had a point to make, it would have worked better if it
>didn't span 248 lines.

I think that polls are a better way of determining opinion than mail. My purpos
was not to share an opinion, but to share a line of reasoning.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:44:09PM +0100, timothyho...@seznam.cz wrote:
..snip..
>> In the end, I would have invested hundreds of thousands of Euros in research
>> and development, I would have outside investors to please, and there would
>> be no way that my low cost haptic computer system would be anything like low
>> cost, and it certainly would not be open source.

> Your metaphore works if brmlab would be going to do the same.
> In fact, Fabtotum is *very* *very* cheap for what it should be doing.
> (Suspiciously cheap, some would point out.)

I was reacting to Mario's general sentiment that we should aquire tools, not to
the Fabtotum specifically. I agree that the Fabtotum is very cheep and perhaps
interesting in it's cheepness.

>> I agree with you generally, that brmlab could use some more good tools.
>> However, I wory that if we invest too heavilly in proprietary soloutions,
>> brmlab will lose its value. Brmlab shouldn't exist to build captive
>> comunities for companies like EagleCad who wish to get free work done by
>> enthusiests. Brmlab should exist for its own purposes and for the purposes
>> of promoting the DIY and open source communities as a whole.

> Yet plenty of people in brmlab use eagle, because it's the best tool
>for the job due to various factors. Some people don't want to make
>certain compromises, which is fine, but others do. And it's not like
>settling with using a CC-BY-NC licenced equipment is that awful
>a compromise, compared to a completely proprietary tool.

I agree that CC-BY-NC is not that awful, what is awful however, is the recent
trend of companies claiming that not-so-open products are open.

> Your argument would also work much better if there would be a bunch of
> people working on some Fabtotum analogue in brmlab right now. I think
> most people wouldn't even consider buying it then. But the choice is
> *not* bought tool -- diy tool, it is bought tool -- no tool.

Yes, but did we consider the possibility of purchasing the parts for one of the
fully opensource routers if we are going to buy a router?

Tim