> On Nov 2, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Siwek, Jon <jsi...@illinois.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 1, 2017, at 6:11 PM, Azoff, Justin S <jaz...@illinois.edu> wrote:
>>
>> - a bif/function for efficiently broadcasting an event to all other workers
>> (or data nodes)
>> -  If the current node is a data node, just send it to all workers
>> -  otherwise, round robin the event to a data node and have it send it to
>> all workers minus the current node.
>
> In the case of broadcasting from a worker to all other workers, the reason
> why you relay via another node is only because workers are not connected to
> each other?  Do we know that a fully-connected cluster is a bad idea?  i.e.
> why not have a worker able to broadcast directly to all other workers if
> that’s what is needed?

Mostly so that workers don't end up spending all their time sending out
messages when they should be analyzing packets.

>> If &synchronized is going away script writers should be able to broadcast an
>> event to all workers by doing something like
>>
>>   Cluster::Broadcast(Cluster::WORKERS, event Foo(42));
>>
>> This would replace a ton of code that currently uses things like
>> worker2manager_events+manager2worker_events+@if ( Cluster::local_node_type()
>> == Cluster::MANAGER )
>
> The successor to &synchronized was primarily intended to be the new data
> store stuff, so is there a way to map what you need onto that functionality?
> Or can you elaborate on an example where you think this new broadcast pattern
> is a better way to replace &synchronized than using a data store?
>
> - Jon

I think a shared data store would work for most of the use cases where people
are messing with worker2manager_events.

If all the cases of people using worker2manager_events+manager2worker_events to
mimic broadcast functionality are really just
doing so to update data then it does make sense to just replace all of that
with a new data store.

How would something like policy/protocols/ssl/validate-certs.bro look with
intermediate_cache as a data store?

—
Justin Azoff