On 03/11/17 18:07, Azoff, Justin S wrote:> Partitioning the intel data
set is a little tricky since it supports subnets and hashing 10.10.0.0/16
> and 10.10.10.10 won't necessarily give you the same node.  Maybe subnets need
> to exist on all
> nodes but everything else can be partitioned?

Good point! Subnets are stored kind of separate to allow prefix matches
anyway. However, I am a bit hesitant as it would become a quite complex
setup.

> There would also need to be a method for
> re-distributing the data if the cluster configuration changes due to nodes
> being added or removed.

Right, that's exactly what I was thinking of. I guess this applies also
to other use cases which will use HRW. I am just not sure whether
dynamic layout changes are out of scope at the moment...

> 'Each data node serving a part of a cluster' is kind of like what we have now
> with proxies,
> but that is statically configured and has no support for failover.  I've seen
> cluster setups where
> there are 4 worker boxes and run one proxy on each box.  The problem is if
> one box down,
> 1/4 of the workers on the remaining 3 boxes are configured to use a proxy
> that no longer exists.
>
> So minimally just having a copy of the data in another process and using RR
> would be an improvement.
>
> There may be an issue with scaling out data notes to 8+ processes for things
> like scan detection and sumstats,
> if those 8 data nodes would also need to have a full copy of the intel data
> in memory. I don't know how much
> memory a large intel data set is inside a running bro process though.

Fully agreed! In that case it might be nice if one can define separate
special purpose data nodes, e.g. "intel data nodes". But, I am not sure
whether this is a good idea as this might lead to complex cluster
definitions and poor usability as users need to know a bit about how the
underlying mechanisms work. On the other hand this would theoretically
allow to completely decouple the intel data store (e.g. interface a
"real" database with some pybroker-scripts).

Jan