Paul Eggert <[email protected]> writes:

> On 2026-09-28 15:38, Collin Funk wrote:
>> I am on Fedora 44 as well, and I the options display as expected and are
>> clickable both in Gnome Terminal and a seperate graphical Emacs window.
>
> For me the former works but the latter misbehaves as described.
>
> I see a similar misbehavior with 'emacs -Q', which should bypass
> personalization, and even with 'env -i HOME=/nonexistent
> WAYLAND_DISPLAY=$WAYLAND_DISPLAY XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR
> XDG_SESSION_TYPE=$XDG_SESSION_TYPE /usr/bin/emacs -Q', which should
> bypasses pretty much everything.
>
> For what it's worth, on my Fedora 44 platform, 'emacs' eventually
> resolves (via a series of symlinks and scripts) to
> /usr/bin/emacs-30.2.pgtk, where Lisp call (emacs-version) returns "GNU
> Emacs 30.2 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.52,
> cairo version 1.18.4)
>  of 2026-08-28". My XDG_SESSION_TYPE environment variable says
>  "wayland" and I am running a graphical Emacs. But I doubt whether
>  this has anything to do with the windowing environment or whether
>  Emacs uses graphics or just text.

Ah, I can see the same when using '/usr/bin/emacs-30.2-pgtk'. I was
using an unreleased version from git, which is why I didn't see that
behavior earlier. Specifically, it was built around a month ago. Looking
at the commit history it seems like this is the relevant one:

    commit e13fb667a2179548a1b57bf1e345b5a1dc00bb24
    Author:     Zhengyi Fu <[email protected]>
    AuthorDate: Tue Jun 16 12:49:15 2026 +0800
    Commit:     Eli Zaretskii <[email protected]>
    CommitDate: Sun Jun 21 08:55:30 2026 +0300
    
        Support OSC 8 hyperlinks in man pages
        
        * lisp/man.el: Require `ansi-osc'.
        (Man-ansi-osc-handlers): New variable.
        (Man-fontify-manpage): Call ansi-osc-apply-on-region to buttonize
        OSC 8 hyperlinks.  (Bug#81240)
        
        * etc/NEWS: Announce the new feature.

I think the original point of this issue was the behavior when coreutils
programs have their --help output piped or redirected. In that case, I
am okay with disabling the links.

However, here Emacs is using the actual man pages. Losing the links
there would be quite unfortunate, since most programs handle them
perfectly fine. They also work on HTML pages. It is a bit unfortunate,
though, that no released version of Emacs handles them.

Collin



Reply via email to