On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 06:24:18PM +0100, Gavin Smith wrote:
> I'd suggest making it an error if the output should be a single file and the
> argument of -o exists and is a directory.  (I'm not sure what -o would do
> with split Info output, but presumably the most obvious behaviour would be
> to use the argument as the stem to which "-1", "-2" suffixes etc. are
> be added.)

I found in the tests/many_input_files some cases for which -o as a
directory may make sense, when there is more than one Texinfo file
processed.  So something like

 texi2any a.texi b.texi

A -o file will only affect the first manual, here a.texi, b.texi will
end up in the current directory.

There is a still a way to specify a directory for both files, by setting
SUBDIR, which should give the same output as setting -o to a directory
previously, like

 texi2any -c SUBDIR out_dir/ a.texi b.texi

Is it good enough?  Or should we make an exception when there are
several Texinfo manuals processed to accept -o DIR (and use it to
file SUBDIR, as was done previously)?

-- 
Pat

Reply via email to