[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 10/7/2004 4:12:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

        Never checked it for asbestos content.

    You'll be hearing from my attorney.

    Caughing Twybil

We didn't disturb the "tar," just found it and reported it's
existence.  Didn't occur to me that there might be the A-stuff in it.
I'll tell Schinnerer to go back to sleep.

Ralph

Twybil should not have had his face in so close to the damn blasted tar wall. Tell him next time to stand back 25'. Better yet, tell him to take his bags to Hunter Mountain and blow.

20+ years ago I remember seeing an advertisement from Karnak expressily
recommending the application of bituminous mastic (roofing cement) to
the inner faces of masonry parapets in order to keep the water out. You
can get it in any color you want as long as it is black. A project I
looked at early on in the Bronx we were asked to go look at what another
contractor had done, a guy working out of his PU truck. The contract had
been to stucco the blank elevations of several 10 story brick masonry
buildings, which the contractor had done. The owner complained about the
work (the owner was looking to not pay for the work and that is why they
complained) and the contractor was desperate to do a better job and get
paid and so without direction he coated the entire elevation of several
buildings with roofing tar. I was asked to take a look at it and give an
opinion.

It goes to two simple concepts:

1) It is impossible to keep water out of masonry so do not even try.
Think of routes of flow and breathing.
2) Coatings present a moisture barrier that, particularly with
freeze-thaw cycling, accelerates the deterioration of the masonry.

Asbestos in roofing cement is one issue, for another is/was asbestos in
the alumination coating applied to membrane roofs. I remember just
before the transition to non-asbestos fibre containing coatings a
sitation where a modified bitumen roofing system had been coated,
despite the specifications, with an asbestos containing coating. There
was a lot of talk about how to remove the coating. All talk. Talk mainly
because for other reasons the owner was pissed at the contractor. What
goes around comes around.

][<