In a message dated 1/15/2005 6:02:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Hmmm... more pressing than painting figures on the ceilings and walls of
caves? I see a difference between painting, sculpture, and music,  and acoustics.   I'm not quite sure what that difference is, but seems to me there's a major leap between blowing on horns to make sound, and altering a cave to improve the quality of the sounds made inside it.  Seems to me the story was that nobody until Dankmar Adler understood architectural acoustics [which of course means that no lesser human understood them, either; being a reasonable person, I would concede that Stradivari understood the acoustics of string instruments], and I just can't see Fred Flintstone tuning a cave.   Enlarging it so he didn't hit his head on the ceiling, yes, but tuning it, no.
Or carving tall stone heads and leaving them standing around?
A religious consciousness can be expressed through acoustics How pray tell would one express a religious consciousness through acoustics?  Especially in 1 Million BC.  and what is more pressing than that?  Not getting eaten by a dinosaur, killing a mammoth, not freezing your ass off. That sort of thing.
Ralph