Hi Mike,

        Thank you very much for your suggestions.
I came back to the telnetd issue once again and right now when I try to
connect to my ppc405 embedded system I get:

Trying 129.128.107.50...
Connected to ml403-mirek.pss.uk (129.128.107.50).
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Now it  seems to be that the telnet daemon runs on my ppc405 but
probably something needs to be configured.

I have tried to see some error messages in the /var/log/messages file but
such a file does not exist on my ppc405.

Does somebody have an idea what configuration is missing

Best Regards

Mirek