Hello Miroslav,

Miroslaw Dach wrote:
> Hi Hinko,
>
>       I have recompiled the kernel and enabled the PTY :
> Device Drivers ->
>                 character devices ->
>                                    Legacy (BSD) PTY support [*]
>                                    Max. number of legacy PTY in use (256)

Are the /dev/ entries also in place?

crw-rw-rw-    1 0        0          5,   2 Jun 12  2007 ptmx
drwxr-xr-x    2 0        0               0 Jan  1 01:00 pts
crw-rw----    1 0        0          2,   0 Jun 12  2007 ptyp0
crw-rw----    1 0        0          2,   1 Jun 12  2007 ptyp1
crw-rw----    1 0        0          2,   2 Jun 12  2007 ptyp2
crw-rw----    1 0        0          2,   3 Jun 12  2007 ptyp3
crw-rw----    1 0        0          2,   4 Jun 12  2007 ptyp4

> I have reloaded the linux kernel and started the telned
> but I have the same messages printed on the screen:
>
> Connected to ml403-mirek.pss.ch (129.128.107.50).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> I do not know if it is somehow related to the password configuration files:
>
> It seems to be something not set correctly:
>
> I have tried to change the password for user root:
>
> passwd
> passwd: uknown uid 0
>
> passwd mirek
> passwd: uknown uid 0

Hmm, UID 0 is supposed to be root. Can you copy the /etc/passwd from eg.
your host computer where you know what the password is to the target
computer (where telnetd is running) and then try to login?

> when I inoked
> /bin/login
> ml403-mirek login: mirek
> login: no valid shadow pasword
>
> Maybe the password issue is the source of the problem that telnet does not
> start.
>
> The config files in the /etc directory look like that:
>
> ls /etc
> fstab  group  gshadow  inetd.conf  init.d  passwd  services

Could be that /etc/passwd is not being read at all if /etc/shadow is
present. Wait a minute, your listing doesn't show /etc/shadow file?!

Have you checked that you have all prerequisites for shadow passwords?
I've just glanced over the loginutils/Config.in in the busybox source
tree. I'm not using shadow passwords so I can't be of much help if you
need /etc/shadow.

Also try to *not* use /etc/shadow, insted use only /etc/passwd.

In case you don't have plain /etc/passwd, I use this one, where I can
login on my target as follows:
user: root
pass: pass

/etc/passwd:
root:AiADGkJIfIlXk:0:0:administrator:/:/bin/sh
nobody:*:254:254:nobody:/var/empty:/bin/sh
logout:gfr8cijmRSDck:498:506:logout:/:

Best regards,
hinko
--