> Hello all!
 >
 > On Monday 04 February 2008 17:39:58 Paul Fox wrote:
 > > how does a user-level daemon provide a nice "user experience"?  don't
 > > you still need kernel splash support in order to fill the screen
 > > until you get past init?
 >
 > Assuming that getting up to init is fast enough (less than a few seconds),
 > then you could redirect kernel console to oblivion, and the only provide
 > user-space boot progress.

i guess in our experience, it really looks a lot better
if the screen shows something Right Away.  we've even gone so far
as to make the shutdown splash the same as the startup splash, with
some tricks to delay re-init of the framebuffer.  this makes reboots
look fairly seamless.  but i agree that a blank screen during kernel
start is a fine thing in most cases.

 > I would just add a note. Displaying an image as background is nice; having
 > a progress bar is nice. But I would suggest the possibility to add a
 > text field (empty by default?) which would be used to display boot process.
 > Usage would be such as:
 >
 >   echo "42 Don't Panic!" >/tmp/splash.fifo
 >
 > would set progress to 42 percent, and display the message "Don't Panic!"
 > in the text area. This would make a perfect splash applet!

it would also be useful to be able to replace the splash image
during boot -- this can help with the font problem, since the ppm
image can contain the pre-formatted text in whatever font you
want, for those where the FB font isn't appropriate.

paul