On Tuesday 09 March 2010 05:27:59 Vincent Sanders wrote:
> Hi, background to this is we were building a GCC and had forgotton to
> install gawk. Our default awk was being provided by busybox
> awk.
>
> Busybox version 1.15.3 stable branch, it also exhibits in 1.10.2 and
> appears the same in 1.16.0 however I had issues building a directly
> comparable configuration so this might be an option setting problem.
>
> Now I am no awk expert so forgive me if the busybox implementation is
> doing the right thing for its stated POSIX compliance.
>
> The GCC build system may just be assuming gawk features however it
> does claim to only need a POSIX awk. As I say I am no expert which is
> why I am asking on list rather than submitting a bug straight off.

I've built gcc up through 4.2.1 with busybox awk, so if they broke it it's
recent.  Which version are you trying to build?

BusyBox awk at least used to be maintained by:

 * Copyright (C) 2002 by Dmitry Zakharov <d...@crp.bank.gov.ua>

Might want to try cc'ing him on messages, I don't think he follows the list,
but last I emailed him (Um, 2007 maybe?) he was responsive and fixed the bugs
in question.

Rob