On 2013-09-18 04:18, Laurent Bercot wrote:

>> But I'd call such a system "BusyBox/Linux" instead, since BusyBox is the
>> userspace, regardless of the C library in my opinion.
>
>  How do you know for sure ?

As Pere said, because this is BusyBox uname.

If the uname is provided by BusyBox, the userspace is probably BusyBox
(just like GNU uname assumes the userspace is GNU).

>  Busybox isn't the only alternative userspace. There are other several,
> if lesser-known, projects that provide low-level userspace tools.
> toybox is one. s6-portable-utils + s6-linux-utils is another. And they
> are certainly not the only ones.

Right.  But Toybox has its own uname [1][2], so BusyBox uname won't be
installed on a Toybox-based system (which of course is not a
"BusyBox/Linux" or "GNU/Linux" system).

Running BusyBox uname on a non-BusyBox system (that is, configuring
BusyBox to build only the uname applet and little or nothing else) makes
no sense.

[1]: http://www.landley.net/toybox/status.html#done
[2]: http://www.landley.net/hg/toybox/file/tip/toys/posix/uname.c

>  In 2000, I have built a server without GNU software just to contradict RMS,
> who was insisting that I should call my system GNU/Linux instead of Linux.
> Don't make me build a server without GNU *and* without Busybox just to
> contradict you. ;)

If you do, then GNU uname won't be able to call the system "GNU/Linux"
and BusyBox uname won't be able to call it "BusyBox/Linux", because it
actually won't be either.  That doesn't contradict me at all.

--
Patrick "P. J." McDermott
  http://www.pehjota.net/