On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 6:11 PM, Laurent Bercot
<ska-dietl...@skarnet.org> wrote:
>> Why? If Denis does not have time for the project, then we cannot
>> really blame him. On the other hand, if a fork could work better with
>> someone standing up, why not?
>

>  Forking a project divides resources and weakens both children. It is
> a possibility for big projects with lots of resources and several leaders
> with conflicting goals.

That seems to be wrong in my view. I am sorry if that sounds snarky.
Check out the libressl project which seems to be going into the right
direction. You cannot really say that the openssl project was
overloaded with contributors. Yet, my several years old vulnerability
fixes were struggling to get in. In fact, I did not even get any
reviews for them. This is not an issue with the libressl fork anymore.

> But when the problem is finding a maintainer with
> enough time, expertise and willingness to maintain a project, forking is
> definitely not a solution - on the contrary, it would only exacerbate the
> problem. You were struggling to find one person, now you must find two.

Not quite, no. What I see is that Denis is the ultimate maintainer and
*no one* else is allowed to commit changes from the contributors.

On the contrary, I have seen a *lot* of bikeshed on this mailing list
about insignificant details. The end results usually were missing
features due to completely irrelevant implementation details in my
opinion. I still remember one of my first patches that got more than
100 emails in that thread and the whole thing was about bikeshedding,
again IMHO. Apparently, many people have resource for that, but not
actual pragmaticism!

>  "Someone standing up" is not enough. What will work is "someone with
> time, expertise and willingness to maintain a project such as Busybox
> standing up".

Do you really think anyone of us think it otherwise? Assuming
maturity, I cannot possibly imagine why you would think it otherwise.

> So far I haven't seen anyone checking all three boxes better
> than Denys, so don't be so quick to replace him, pretty please.

That shows why I think you do not get what I am trying to write. My
problem is not with Denys' skills. My problem is with Denys' time
_and_ ultimate role without others being able to maintain certain
parts.

busybox --list | wc -l
351

Does anyone here really think that one person can maintain 351 applets
alone? I think it should be acceptable for others to stand up and not
to have an exclusive person here responsible for everything. I am sure
that there have been applet authors who would have been happy to give
a helping hand with maintaining their code pieces.

Cheers, L.