Hi,

I have modified nldev[1] to instead of just executing mdev on kernel
events it will forward the event to a helper program via pipe. If
helper program exits (normally due to timeout), it will respawn it as
needed.

netlink listener code that needs to be in memory all the time:
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/ncopa/nldev/tree/nldev.c

handler helper code:
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/ncopa/nldev/tree/nldev-handler.c

Since this is just a demo of the concept, the only thing the helper
program currently do is what nldev previously did: set environment and
fork/exec mdev. (so you should actually be able to use it as is...)

What I would like is to modify mdev to have most of the logic in
nldev-handler.c. That is read events from stdin instead of environment
and time out after a given time.

I am not sure the subsystem filter is needed.

Proposed way to call mdev is: mdev -i

--
[1]: http://git.r-36.net/nldev/