On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:51:39 -0600
James Bowlin <bit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 09:55 AM, Natanael Copa said:
> > On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 13:12:56 -0600
> > James Bowlin <bit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > TL;DR: the current busybox (or my code) seems to be broken on one
> > > or two systems out of thousands; crucial modules don't get loaded
> > > using hotplug + coldplug.  Please give me a runtime option so I
> > > can give my users a boot-time option to try the new approach.

> My current plan is to make repeated coldplugging the default
> method for loading modules since in every case I've been able to
> investigate, an alias for the missing module(s) is in the output
> of the find command I gave above.  I haven't yet done exhaustive
> testing but every test with repeated coldplugging has worked even
> on the system where the hotplugging is flaky (and which is now
> out of my reach).

Interstingly, this is what we do on alpine linux too:
http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/mkinitfs/tree/initramfs-init.in#n530

So apparently we must have had the same problem in the past.

My current plan is to user netlink to serialize the hotplug events and
instead of scanning /sys/devices for modailas entries, I'll trigger
'add' uevents.

(I will also make the netlink listener stop as soon as it has collected
all needed bits to set up the root fs)

> I don't know why hotplugging works most of the time but not all
> the time.

It could be a race condition.

I wonder if the problem persist if you serialize mdev using /dev/mdev.seq