On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 10:49 PM, Laurent Bercot
<ska-dietl...@skarnet.org> wrote:
> On 16/10/2015 20:29, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>>
>> I think killing $PPID from children is a completely legitimate approach.
>

>  FWIW, I dislike parricide. The flow of information is backwards; it
> forces the child to know in what context it is run.

If you have a program which does not know that it is being run by inotifyd,
you can create a shim which does know that:

#!/bin/sh
PROG "$@"
test "$?" = 111 && kill $PPID

>  I agree with Bartosz in that it is much cleaner to encode information
> in the child's return code, and have the parent explicitly support a
> code that makes itexit.

This does not sound like technical argument, it's an aesthetic one.
You propose to add complexity to inotifyd because it's looks "cleaner".
I don't see it as "cleaner", I see both ways as legitimate.
But your way requires additional code.