On 20/10/2015 13:17, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
inotifyd syntax is "inotifyd PROG FILE1[:MASK]...",
and PROG is run with

     PROG ACTUAL_EVENTS FILEn [SUBFILE]

This severely limits the number of unmodified PROGs you can run
to achieve some useful result. (...)
IOW: in practice, you always need a shim.

 Ah, indeed. It's a shame PROG is a single argument, though:
I very much prefer executing whole command lines. If you have
to tailor PROG to inotifyd's needs anyway, the "it's less code"
argument falls.

Sorry, but I don't agree to this view even after you repeat it.
Here is an example where this idiom of "killing the parent"
is used already:

 Well, giving me another example of this idiom doesn't convince
me that it's a good one either. :P
 ntpd, just like inotifyd, can be killed by one of its children?
I still don't like it. I'm a Unix traditionalist and reactionary:
parents should have control over their children, not the other way
round.

Can you point me to the software you are working on so that
I can look on a wider picture of the problem you are trying to solve?

 That would be Bartosz. I'm not working on any software using inotifyd,
I was just adding my support to his proposal from a pure "Unix software
design" point of view. But for me it's theoretical, and borderline
bikeshedding, and I can work with your design even if it's not my
preferred one - so if you won't be convinced, that's ok too, and I'll
just drop it. :)

--
 Laurent