Le 01/02/2016 23:34, Mike Frysinger a écrit :
On 01 Feb 2016 22:33, Didier Kryn wrote:
Le 01/02/2016 18:10, Mike Frysinger a écrit :
it makes a lot of sense when you fork children that have specific purposes.
rather than just seeing the program's name 4 times, it's more helpful for
them to be broken up.
      prctl() can be used for that, with the operation code PR_SET_NAME.
It does not change the command line.
right, but that has its own limitations:
- it's new to linux-2.6.9
- can only set the name
- is limited to 16 bytes
- can't change command line args

so we're still stuck with this behavior of modifying the argv mem directly :(
-mike
IIUC your argument was there's a need to give sensible names to children. prctl() allows this *without* resorting to modifying the command line args. I don't find 16 chars (in reality 15) is short for the purpose.

    Didier

    Didier