Op 03-09-19 om 04:31 schreef Kang-Che Sung:
Excuse me, but I wonder one thing on the third patch: Why should we follow
strictly with gzip on the no-options default behavior?

For two reasons.

First, the default 6 compression level is a de-facto standard. BSD gzip and Apple gzip (on macOS) use this default as well. So there is a reasonable expectation that different gzip implementations act the same. For instance, if the default for busybox gzip becomes 9, then someone writing a script using busybox gzip could reasonably expect that the compression level will still be 9 when the same script is run on another system. That would be wrong. Implementations should not deviate from de-facto standards without a strong reason.

Second, the inherent reason for this default has not gone away. While processor speeds have exploded since the default was set, so has the typical size of compressed files. Multiple gigabytes are nothing unusual these days. And gzip is often used for compression on the fly, precisely because it offers a good compromise between speed and compression ratio. So I believe 6 continues to be a reasonable default.

The better change would be to allow the builder to choose the compression level
at build time.

I disagree with that as well, for the same reasons.

- Martijn

--
modernish -- harness the shell
https://github.com/modernish/modernish