On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 at 11:46, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer
<rep.dot....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please keep in mind that busybox is a project driven by volunteers.

Absolutely, I understand. To be perfectly clear, I wasn't complaining,
just making
sure there wasn't anything else going on.

> Patches have to have a proper Signed-off-by with real names for legal
> reasons, I think you forgot to add that.

I see. That is inconvenient, but also understandable.

> I vaguely remember less and letting color through verbatim. Ah, here
>
> https://busybox.busybox.narkive.com/Ueypu29o/patch-1-3-less-use-esc-positive-instead-of-esc-normal
>
> and following.
>
> Specifically:
> ---8<---
> It is not okay in Unix to pipe escape sequences to a non-tty stdout.
>
> I don't think the rest of Unix world needs to accommodate it.
> ---8<---
>
> So, not sure, but I think it has become more and more common practice in the
> meantime?

This patch won't let escapes through to pipes, because this entire codepath
is skipped entirely when stdout is a pipe. bbless turns into bbcat when output
isn't a TTY:
https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/miscutils/less.c?id=8d67007a4dedef77dd0cf757bcc0e6fbee267ced#n1857

Any other reason this patch was rejected way back then? I couldn't see
anything definitive on the discussion there. I see code size, and the increase
in size is a lot less here (mostly because I could rip out all the code that was
added after that to presumably avoid having to implement -R).

(sorry for dupe)