Alcohol produces more power than gasoline in classes limited by engine size.
It is tough on aluminum but one can take precautions.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Keith Dutson via BVARC
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 9:13 PM
To: 'BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB'
Cc: Keith Dutson
Subject: Re: [BVARC] Generator gas stabilizers

What is wrong with alcohol in gas?  Everybody says it is bad.  Why?  What proof?

I have eight pieces of equipment using four-cycle gasoline engines.  Three are
mowers used all of the time to keep the grass cut on most of the 16 acres here.
 Pump gas is used in all of these engines.  The oldest mower is a John Deere
265 lawn tractor.  I think it is a 1992 model.  It still runs great after
purchase from Brookside Equipment, with no worry for alcohol in the gas.  I use
fuel preservative in seldom-used equipment such as generators and pressure
washers.  All of these have a fuel switch that is shut off at end of use, to
let the gas in the carburetor run dry.  Leaving gas in a carburetor, allowing
it to evaporate, leaves gasoline residue (lacquer) to build up over time and
clog the carb and ruin gaskets.  One of my newer generators (Generac 7000
Electric Start) has no fuel shut-off valve.  That one gets a double-dose of
fuel preservative, hoping it will do better in the carburetor.  Generac assures
me it will last a long time if run every month or two.

Has anyone heard of alcohol race engines?  Wonder why it is sometimes preferred
to gasoline.  Again, what is bad about alcohol?

73, Keith NM5G