All,

As the originator of this email I want to clarify a few things and suggest
a solution. I did not want to include my call sign in the email because I
did not want that email to be the next thing to pop up in a search for my
call. Although I'll admit I was off about some things I said. I am well
aware (and have been aware) that my call sign and all info on my license
can be found on the FCC ULS website
<https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp>, and is
mirrored on the QRZ website <https://www.qrz.com/>(as well as some data you
can provide which may or may not be shielded from non-hams).

*To be clear*: BVARC is in no way responsible for what is on the ULS and
QRZ. What's on those sites is what you provide to the FCC or QRZ and the
public access to that data is plainly stated by both. BVARC was very up
front about what would be posted on the *roster *(here
<https://www.bvarc.org/index1.php?page=roster>) in the "Welcome to BVARC!"
email, and clearly stated (at least in the version of the email I got in
December) that they will immediately remove any or all information on the
roster if you so desire.

With that said: I believe the real issue/concern here is that the BVARC
reflector is a PUBLIC FORUM *and *that was not made clear to us (as is
echoed by others in this email chain). I have no problem with the reflector
being a public forum. After having it explained to me today I understand
the reasoning behind making it public. However I think we simply need to *make
that clear*. Because when a silly comment or joke can have huge effects on
people's lives, they need to know that *anyone *on the internet can see
what they say here. So rather than just complain about it, I'd like to
propose a solution. I suggest adding a note in the standard welcome email
to make it clear that all messages sent to the reflector will be posted to
the publicly available site: https://www.mail-archive.com/bvarc@bvarc.org/
and can be accessed by anyone. I also suggest a simple change the the BVARC
reflector signature:

Or something to that effect. This clarifies the way that the reflector
works and does not leave any room for interpretation, nor does it change
the reflector operation in any way.

So that's my 2 cents. To the folks in charge, the board, webmaster etc. I
hope you'll take my suggestions into consideration. Sorry for stirring up a
huge fuss, but it sounds like others may benefit from being made aware of
how it all works. Hope everyone has a great day!

Thanks,

*- Kori*