It's good to practice manual programming, so I won't argue against that.
You can read the QRZ thread below, there is a Youtube video linked on
manual programming.  I haven't watched the video for completeness, but I'm
sure there are other vids posted.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/manually-programming-icom-2730a.762814/

The IC-2730 should be listed in Chirp.  I have a few screen snippings
below, see if you can reproduce it.  I didn't have any radio connected.

Honestly, though, I found the Icom software to be pretty well navigable.
It's worth checking out.

[image: image.png]

[image: image.png]

'73,

Chris Heustis
W5GX

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 12:25 PM Randy Pickut via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>
wrote:

> Thanks for the input, guys!
>
> I ordered a Prolific USB Serial Programming Cable and tried to program my
> radio using
> CHIRP, but clicking "Radio" in the menu bar of that software brings
> up nothing  - as opposed to
> YouTubes that I've seen or when plugging in my Baofeng. (Perhaps I have a
> cable problem??)
>
> I talked to Mike Harwick of BVARC, and he told me to practice programming
> in freq's manually
> before loading up a hundred repeaters through the software.
>
> Will try the manual route for now and will explore all your suggestions
> when I get that working.
>
> Thanks a lot, and your info is backed up for reference.
>
> Hope to talk to you all soon - Randy Pickut, KI5LQS
>
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 7:40 PM Kori Rahman via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I purchased this cheap little cable last year.
>> "bestkong USB Programming Cable for Icom IC-207H IC-208H IC-2100H IC-2800
>> IC-F3001 IC-F3021 IC-F3023 IC-F3011 F3022 OPC-478 OPC-478U"
>> ~$22 on amazon
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LBH5R9N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>> Works just fine with my IC-2730 and Chirp (you can find that here
>> <https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home>), takes about a
>> minute or two to program my 500+ channels (Including GMRS, FRS and Marine
>> freq). I wouldn't install whatever software comes with the cable though.
>> Your computer should recognize it as a serial device and then you just pull
>> it up in Chirp. Chirp has a nice feature where you can pull up all the
>> local repeaters by distance from your location, also other
>> standard frequencies are listed in there. I have attached my own Chirp file
>> if you want to use it. Channel 0 is 146.94, 1-22 are GMRS/FRS, the rest are
>> roughly in numerical order, Marine bands at the end (475 and beyond). I
>> didn't include the NOAA stations because the IC-2730 has those as a
>> built-in feature. I have really enjoyed the IC-2730 (so much so I have 2),
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> *- Kori WX5KR*
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 6:44 PM Terry Leatherland via BVARC <
>> bvarc@bvarc.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Guaranteed to work with a RT Systems cable and Chirp software or the
>>> equivalent Icom software. The cable is the key. Just google RT Systems
>>> 😀
>>> K5pgf
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On Aug 11, 2021, at 12:58 PM, Mike Hardwick via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>