Jimmy,

Thanks for reaching out. The BVARC reflector is a great resource for asking
questions. You have the call sign correct (WX5KR), I'm glad to hear you are
interested in getting involved and thank you so much for joining BVARC!
Congratulations on your General License as well.

So as far as getting on the air, if you haven't already done so, I highly
recommend adding the 146.940MHz repeater (offset is -600 kHz and CTCSS tone
is 167.9 Hz) to your radio. If you're having trouble with that, please give
me a call at my number below. I can meet with you sometime this week to get
you squared away on operating your radios. Also (if you have time) we will
be having an event at Brazos Bend State Park on Sunday 10/23/22 which you
are absolutely welcome to attend, and I or other folks in the group can
give you some hands-on assistance with your rado there as well.

A good resource to find repeaters to program in your radio would be
RepeaterBook.com. I'm sure you've taken a look at YouTube as well, but it's
always a good spot to check for detailed information. We have a few other
organizations you may want to look into here in the area, and that is ARES
District 14 <https://stxd14ares.org/> and District 1 (depending on your
location). There are many public service opportunities that are publicized
by that group and BVARC (e.g. Bike rides, the Wings Over Houston Airshow,
the Houston Marathon etc.)

There are many nets on the 146.940MHz repeater, including the BVARC
Stir-Crazy net weekdays at noon till we finish (usually around 1pm), we
have the Monday Night net at 8pm, the local traffic net on Mondays at
6:30pm, Tuesdays at 7pm we have the QuestionAir net, and on some Wednesdays
we have the ARES D14 SW Unit net at 8pm.

Like I said, give me a call and I can make time to meet with you about your
radio and getting on the air. I wish you the best of luck in your ham radio
endeavors and as we say, 73!

Thanks,

Kori Rahman, WX5KR
*Brazos Valley Amateur Radio Club*