Rick Hiller, all those Radio Hotel articles on antennas have been summed up
succinctly by Marc...
73MarkK5MGJ
    On Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 12:34:46 PM CST, Darren Harrison via
BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org> wrote:

  Nice! :)
Darren W5AKCFrom: BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> on behalf of M Reiter via
BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2023 12:25:27 PM
To: BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Cc: M Reiter <beachcat...@gmail.com>
Subject: [BVARC] its official. Yes I can now say with certainty that all
antenna science is actually just VooDoo.after reading 100s of pages on an equal
number of antenna configurations I have determined that the only common
denominator is that antennas must be made from metal. and someone will let me
know that is also not so.   to sum up my research you must have a 1/4, 1/2,
5/8, 3/8, 3/4 full wavelength section at some angle to something else that is
larger or smaller than the original  it must be between touching the earth or
200ft high whichever you like more.  it should be horizontal or vertical or an
angle in-between.  can be made from wire or tubing of copper or aluminum but do
not rule out magnesium.  it must be an open or closed circuit it definitely
should or should not be resonate, SWR is bad, but a little is ok.   dont forget
to trim your antenna until you have trimmed too much then add some back and
trim some more. A balun unun unbalunousbulbulous, is absolutely maybe required
but dont use one, they are rings of mystery metal called ferite, because they
may be ferous and may be magic, they should be wound clockwise or counter
clockwise or both and may have 2 but can have as many as six wires in a
mystical configuration that can not be shown in 2 dimensions. did i mention the
magic ladder wire or 75-400 or more ohm coax with or without loops to make
something called ohms all nice and matchy matchy. (oof course you dont need
this either because radios do this for you.)
so there you have it,  all you need to know to get out there and make a perfect
antenna.
MarcZombie Ham Operator, ki5ZHO