Most repeaters do not do cross tone. They transmit the same tone as they
receive. Tone encode means that your radio just transmits the tone but is
carrier squelch on receive... Tone squelch means that the transmitter
transmits the tone and the receiver requires the same tone to unsquelch...
This is of course provided that the repeater is transmitting the tone.
There are some repeaters that only have tone on the receiver but not on the
transmitter. I know of at least one in Houston but as far as the tones
being different? No I don't know of anybody doing that except maybe one UHF
repeater.