From: BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> On Behalf Of Christopher Boone via BVARC
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2023 3:17 AM
To: BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Cc: Christopher Boone <setxtele...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [BVARC] Icom 52a CTCSS / RX CTCSS confusion

As a former twice board of director member of the Texas VHFM Society as well as
a life member of the once great organization, I want to clarify a few things in
Robert's post.

Number one, the Society does not "regulate" a damn thing.. only the FCC
regulates amateur radio in the US...the Society is supposed to suggest
frequency coordination but under FCC rules there is no legal requirement for
such... Both Riley Hollingsworth and Laura Mitchell have stated at that several
times.. The Society used to be the premiere organization but it is slowly
degradated down to a pile of manure in the last 10 years.. It is now putting
repeaters on 10 kilohertz splinters on two meters and that was never passed by
the membership!! A number of us who are life members are waiting for the next
society meeting to vote the assholes out.. and to try to return it to a
respectable organization. Either that or we'll be looking at legal action...

As far as CTCSS tones are concerned, they were originally started in the
commercial two-way side to allow multiple users to share repeater frequencies.
Hence the term community repeaters or CRs as they were known... One problem
with subaudible tone is it only takes a slight extra signal to interfere with
the CTCSS decode.. the heterodyne causes decoders to mute, which results in
poorer range than if the repeater was in carrier access. In fact Tuesday night,
I was driving back from Kirbyville trying to access the Beaumont 146.94
repeater during the East Coast reflector technet. Even though the repeater was
full scale in the mobile, I couldn't get into it.

But then I heard the heterodyne from the Houston repeater under the Beaumont
repeater and realized that the receiver was probably hearing somebody accessing
the Houston machine but was also getting into the Beaumont receiver yet with
the improper tone they weren't keying the repeater up but they were enough
signal where the decoder was not hearing my subaudible tone clean. In other
words CTCSS does not eliminate interference! It only masks it... And then it's
some cases it can be worse than without subaudible tone... QST in their "the
doctor is in" column had a similar question asked and the answer was "go put PL
on your repeater, that'll cure the interference!" I laughed my ass off on that
one.

Unfortunately with us being near the Gulf Coast, tropo is a way of life for us.
We could space repeaters 300 miles apart and still have it! When we first had
inverted splits in Texas and Florida was non inverted, we had lockups across
the Gulf of Mexico... This is why Texas went 20 kHz on 2 m. It was either that
or non-inverted 15 kilohertz splits, which would not work at all. In fact I'm
the one who made the proposal at the TXVHFM Society meeting in the Dallas area
in 1984 that we adopt a 20 kilohertz channel spacing on 146 to 148 MHz. If 15
kilohertz is so damn good, why is the 145 repeater sub band 20 kHz across the
entire United States? When I ask that question all I hear is crickets.. ☺️

Chris

WB5ITT ex WR5AOK

Trustee/Owner W5APX Beaumont 146.94 and Lake Charles 146.88, both 100 Hz and
full time linked

Soon adding 29.65- , 53.05-, along with 224.4/444.5

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023, 2:52 AM Robert Polinski via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org