From: BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> On Behalf Of Mike Hardwick via BVARC
Sent: Friday, April 7, 2023 09:00
To: BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Cc: Mike Hardwick <n5...@att.net>; Jonathan Guthrie, KA8KPN <ka8...@ka8kpn.org>
Subject: Re: [BVARC] SR-71 Blackbird

Found this on YouTube.

Seems military pilots do this on a regular basis for training.

https://youtu.be/K4HAiieUQHU

Mike Hardwick.

On Apr 7, 2023, at 7:38 AM, Jonathan Guthrie, KA8KPN via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org
<mailto:bvarc@bvarc.org> > wrote:

I'm sorry, WHAT?

Look, I've never been a military pilot, but I've been a civil pilot for like 35
years.  I have observed, like up close and personal-like, military aircraft on
military missions landing and doing other operations at civil airports.  As I
said, it happens all the time.  In fact, civil pilots communicate with military
air controllers all the time in the process of doing low approaches to
airbases, although actually landing at a military base is generally not done
except in an emergency because of all the permissions you need to get in order
to take off again.

The SR-71 has been flown to airshows, (e.g. "Oshkosh" 1989) although the
versions of the "LA speed check" story that I recall imply that this particular
mission was a training/proficiency flight not flying to or from an airshow.
During cruise an SR-71 does not normally talk to air traffic control because
the requirement to do so ends at a pressure altitude of 60,000 feet (or "flight
level 600") and it flies so fast that the guy in back would have no time to do
anything but tune the radios, but VFR pilots can request services from an ARTCC
and they will be handled on a "workload available" basis.

Since I don't know that I can convince you, maybe we should just end this
conversation here.   I'll refrain from commenting further if I don't have any
additional thing to add.