Thank you Jeff for the video and antenna suggestions. I will definitely explore this option. Sounds very interesting and fun to learn.
 Yes. The radio has a tuner built in.

Venkata Appala KJ5BVS

On Aug 7, 2023, at 7:43 AM, Jeff Greer <gree...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Sounds like a great setup.  17 feet should get you 20-6 without a tuner, as long as you have a way to check SWR.  Many rigs will display SWR, so you may not need an external meter.

If you have a rig with a built-in tuner, you could save some money by buying a 17 foot telescoping fishing pole (Amazon has them) and cut a wire radiating element for each band.  (Cut for the lowest portion of the band and use the tuner to "tune up" to the rest of the band.)  If you're mounting in the same place in your yard with the same radial field, it should stay pretty consistent.  When you set up, just attach the element for the band you want to work.

This setup should be light enough that you can pound a stake into the ground, slide the fishing pole over it, and get by without guy lines.  My 28-ft jackite pole is not guyed (but I sank a 5' length of 1" electrical metal tubing halfway in the ground to hold it.)

Have fun!

From: BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> on behalf of Rudolph Ackerman via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Sent: Monday, August 7, 2023 12:06 AM
To: BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Cc: Rudolph Ackerman <rudolph_acker...@yahoo.com>; Venkata Appala <pradhan...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [BVARC] HF antenna and coax

Venkata, I'm also new to this as well.   What I have been using is very close to the MFJ 1979, its a 17ft whip sold by Wolf river coils.   They sell the whip, plus several mounting options.   I have their large tripod set up.      They also have a coil they make that you can put under the whip antenna for 40 meters.

The whip antenna, large tripod, shorty 40 coil and Radial Kit was about $150 shipped.   This will give you 10 - 40 meters.   It takes me 10 minutes at most to set up that antenna, lay out the radials, and run the coax.

Note even using the large tripod i suggest you get some tent stakes to hold the tripod in place.  With out the stakes the wind blow it over once and thats an easy way to break the whip antenna.

The one down side to this antenna is you have to adjust the length for each band you want to use.   So if you set it up for 20 meters (fully extended) and then decide you want to work 15meter you have to go out and shorten the whip and check the SWR for that new length.  Here are the lengths for each band,

20 meter  204 inch’s
17 meter  159 inchs
15 meter 134 inchs
12 meter 120 inchs
10 meter 101 inchs

For Coax I suggest ARB as they are local (off 290)   The ARB240 cable would be a great option for you. You can even get it in different colors.

http://www.wolfrivercoils.com

https://www.amazon.com/JFOUTU-8pc-Pack-Galvanized-Fluorescent-Pitching/dp/B09JBFJ1MW/ref=sr_1_14?crid=1HPPIW1BGK3NL&keywords=tent+stakes&qid=1691383446&sprefix=tent%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-14

Note when using the whip antenna, you will need a way to check the SWR to ensure you have the antenna at the correct length.  Yes I check it every time I set up my antenna.   For this I use a Nano VNA.    This is about the lowest cost way to check you SWR and it does other things as well.    R & L electronics is the best place to get a Nano VNA.   When I said I can set up my whip in 10 minutes that includes checking the SWR with my NANO VNA.

https://www2.randl.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_8620&products_id=75145

Im in Oregon now, using this set up with my DX-FT10 radio. I have reached from AK to FL on voice and all over the world with FT8.   Thats with just owning my radio for a month now.

Let me know if you have any questions?

Rudy Ackerman
KF5QYG