Afternoon,
    First of all, thank you for all the responses to my last email about
antennas. I have another question related to the same topic and looking off
some guidance. I normally setup my hf antenna for weekend use in my backyard.
It’s a mfj 1979 17ft vertical. It is mounted on a flag pole rod that I just
hammer into the soil close to the backyard fence. I have two sets of 4 radials
in 180 degree pattern since I have a fence on the other side. When I use the
rig expert to check swr, it’s always around 1.15-1.2. While the we is very low,
the noise is crazy high. Most of the stations are extremely noisy. For some
reason, I was able to hear really well few weeks ago. Is this something I am
doing wrong or something to do with propagation ?

For the above setup, I am always on 20m ssb. I do have few metal trellis
hanging near to the antenna few ft away but I am not sure if they cause any
interference.
Disclaimer: I don’t know how to read the noise level on my radio yet, apologies
if this is the most basic thing I should have known before I do anything.
Trying to learn as quickly as I can 😄
Thanks,
Venkata Appala