Hey Mike,
Good afternoon.  You are correct.  CMEs are composed of massive particles, e.g.
protons, electrons, etc.  Solar flares are photons.  Since photons travel at c
they get here in ˜8.2 minutes, regardless of frequency.  Matter particles
travel sub-light and so, depending on their mass, ejection energy, & angle to
the earth (curved trajectory) take ˜20 to ˜48 hours or so to get here.

Also correct regarding charged particles bringing E&M fields with them.  The
CME particles create B fields due to their motion  since they have a net
electrical charge. (Del x B ˜ J + Edot).  What’s interesting is that that the
orientation of the B fields in the particles couple well or not so well to our
ionosphere and depending on that create strong or weak auroras.

BTW, this info is new and changing since it’s an area of research.  Every new
probe sent to the sun deepens our understanding of the phenomena going on in
the sun & how it affects us.  Or even better, comes up with new solar physics.

Interesting topic.

73,
Stephen (W2WF)