Space weather is a complicated subject. Solar flares emit both photons and protons. The photons are part of the electromagnetic radiation which reaches earth at the speed of light. The protons ejected with or by the flare are mass at very high speeds and can reach earth in as little as 30 minutes. Flares are often accompanied by CME’s which, as the name suggests, are mass ejections and reaches earth typically in a day or two. Solar storms are the high speed protons. CME’s also disrupt radio.

There is enough information on space weather online to make almost anyone’s eyes glaze over if you want more.

- David WJ9O