One issue I see is that not everyone knows where to go for SkyWarn nets. In the past everyone knew to jump onto the Saltgrass Link System as the NWS had someone manning the radio room at the NWS office, and it was a really quick and easy way to send reports to the NWS. Since the disappearance of the SLS, 444.500 was loosely designated as the SkyWarn repeater for the Houston area, but that hasn't happened except for maybe one or two events.

Last night we had a SkyWarn net on the Fort Bend 145.49 repeater starting at 17:55 and ending at 19:00. Even though NWS was not manning the radio room at the NWS office, we were still able to take reports and pass them on to NWS via their 800 storm spotter number. I was NCS during the net, and knowing that there might not be any net taking place in and around Harris County, I read out the tornado warnings that were issued for Harris & surrounding counties. The 145.49 repeater has good coverage in Fort Bend County, but it is not really intended for very wide coverage. Still, hopefully some people could benefit if they can hear the 145.49 repeater.

73
John Denison
KD5YOU