Thank you for this email. Your intentions are well taken and I don't
personally find it negative in any way, because it is honest.

I have experienced inclimate weather events many times and in many places.
I grew up in Amarillo, which is under constant threat of inclement weather
every time it rains in the spring. The people there are tough and very
supportive of their community. The weather is a way of life and something
everyone has to pay attention to. There are air raid type syrens every few
blocks. Almost every home has weather radios, many homes have storm
shelters. Most everyone has felt the direct effects of Tornadoes, huge
hail, ice storms, blizzards, and in the spring, the winds run like
crazy for a few months. Tough droughts  make for nasty grass fires that
scar the landscape and threaten lives, crops, livestock, and small
towns for years. Skywarn in these communities is a public service that
works well with the National Weather Service and the official emergency
responders in this area as one single response team.

We are very fortunate to live in a place that has almost a mild climate in
direct comparison. In manys ways this community takes it for granted.
Years go by here without major calamity, and once it is all clear, we go
back to our busy lives.

We all know the answers to your questions. The tough part is what is the
solution? Is this a county issue, public service issue, or a Ham issue?
BVARC does many things well, but SkyWarn is not one of them. There are good
people in some of the emergency services groups, and there is very little
interest in Skywarn at all.  Some people like the thrill of tornado
chasing, My personal experience is that these people have to be ready to
face serious destruction and loss of life scenes that are unimaginable.
Some of the more recent events like Jerral TX in 1997 shows how quickly a
beautiful day can turn the world upside down. It is a hard thing to prepare
for, and just as much so to witness the aftermath.   .

Our recent events expose this as a gap, but once power is restored and the
sky is clear the focus will, most likely, head back to where it has
traditionally been.

I could be wrong, but not twice in one day.

Have Fun and Stay Safe,
Jeff
KC5TT