From: BVARC <bvarc-boun...@bvarc.org> on behalf of Andre Pollard via BVARC
<bvarc@bvarc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2024 4:19 PM
To: BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org>
Cc: Andre Pollard <apollard...@gmail.com>
Subject: [BVARC] Antenna help

I need one of our antenna gurus to give me some input-

I have an 18'-4" telescoping antenna I have been using when camping. By
adjusting length, I can get it to tune at <1.5 SWR on all bands 20M and above.
So far so good, but when do we ever leave well enough alone.

I'm getting ready to travel for a while, and wanted to extend the range down to
40M. So I used the calculators at Coil-Shortened Vertical Antenna Calculator
(66pacific.com)<https://www.66pacific.com/calculators/coil-shortened-vertical-antenna-calculator.aspx>
 to determine the necessary coil. It said I need 4.9 mH. I made the coil per
the calcs one the same site, using a 1.9 inch diameter PVC pipe. I'm running it
bottom-loaded.

By tapping the coil a couple of turns down, I can get it to tune to 7.2 mhz,
but the SWR is >6. If I put my hand very close to the coil , the frequency
shifts (expected), and the SWR drops to 1.2. So I tried adjusting the length
and tapping different turns, never better than 4 SWR on any frequency around 7
mhz. However, if I get my hand near the coil, SWR drops.

Thinking this meant I needed capacitance, I tried a hat to the whip, with
several different designs and sizes. Changes frequency, but horrible SWR still.

Bypassing the coil I can adjust the whip and get great SWR on 14 mhz and above.
So, I don't think it's a problem with the coax (20 feet of RG8X) or nanoVNA.

Google shows up all sorts of sites showing making a coil loaded shortened
vertical like i'm trying. None mention the issue I'm seeing as a problem.

I'd appreciate any input, I've been 'learning' on this for a couple of days now
and haven't gotten it to work yet.

Thanks,
Andre
W4SFZ