Well, the rain broke and I tried 3 33' radials. That helped, but the best I
can achieve is a 2.5 SWR and 72.3+j53.9 inductive on the Smith chart. Much
better, and tuneable with the G90, but I was hoping for a little better. I
tried adding the 10' radials but that didn't make a difference and I don't
want to tear them apart to make another 33' radial.

Interested in the collective wisdom on the above. Or is there another check
I should be running Rick?

Was hoping to get this going for times when an EFHW in a tree isn't
possible (or allowed); I'll be doing some hiking in the mountains and the
park there may not like wires in trees. Higher up, there aren't any tall
trees either. At the cabin, I'll throw up the EFHW, and hopefully can work
you guys at Field Day.

Andre
W4SFZ

On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 7:28 PM Andre Pollard <apollard...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I typically try to get a combination of lowest SWR at my chosen
> center frequency with the widest SWR curve. Then check impedance on the
> Smith chart at the center frequency. I'm using a nanoVNA, I don't have a
> grid dip meter. Impedance in the best case i've gotten is around 200 ohms
> on the inductive side of the chart (which explains why my body capacitance
> affects it so much it would seem). VNA was calibrated for the 6-8 mhz range
> before starting.
>
> I'm tapping the coil when adjusting by jumping from the feed to higher up
> on the coil. Just to try, I jumped from the antenna side to the coil. not a
> lot of difference, but I didn't have the Smith up then. I need to leave SWR
> and Smith on I think to get more information, rather than switching.
>
> When I move my hand close, the frequency of the SWR dip drops (as does the
> SWR). I didn't think to check the Smith when doing that. Right now I
> wouldn't consider it resonant on 40 LOL. But the calcs say it should be.
> They assume an effective ground radial system (among other things).
>
> My next try will be with a couple of 33 ft radials to see if that helps
> like several folks have pointed out. Once it stops flooding here that is.
>
> Thanks for all the input guys- Happy for any suggestions you have.
>
> Andre
> W4SFZ
>
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 5:11 PM Rick Hiller via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Questions......
>>
>> What do you mean "tuned" to 7.2?
>>
>> Are you feeding it at the base of the coil?   Have you tried moving the
>> feed point up the coil?
>>
>> What frequency change do you see when moving your hand close?
>>
>> Here is where just knowing the SWR is not what you need.  What is the
>> feed impedance when measured at the feed point?   Lower than 50 ohms or
>> higher?  Reactive?
>>
>> Is the antenna system resonant on 40?  How do you know?   Do you have a
>> GDO?
>>
>> What are you using to measure SWR?   Maybe the analyzer has what you need
>> as far as measurements required.
>>
>> Sounds like you are having fun.   GL...Rick  W5RH
>>
>> ps...just saw Chris's note about the GP.  You might want to make a more
>> lengthy or resonant elevated GP system to see how that affects it.
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 4:39 PM Andre Pollard via BVARC <bvarc@bvarc.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I normally use a  5’x8’ faraday cloth which works fine on 20 and up. I
>>> made up 16 radials 10 feet long to try that and saw no difference.
>>>

>>> On Jun 18, 2024, at 4:24 PM, wb5itt <wb5...@att.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> What kind of a ground system do you have?
>>>
>>>  Chris WB5ITT
>>>

>>> Sent via my Samsung Galaxy S10e, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable
>>> smartphone..so there! 😂

>>> Andre