From: Robert W5AJ <wood...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2024 5:02 PM
To: n...@earthlink.net
Cc: tdxs-l...@tdxs.net; BRAZOS VALLEY AMATEUR RADIO CLUB <bvarc@bvarc.org>;
ctd...@lists.kkn.net
Subject: Re: [CTDXCC] A bit off topic...but not really

general comments on RFI and AC units

We recently replaced the Outdoor unit - no VFD

3 Ton unit

There is no RFI from the unit that I've detected.

However, My 80meter RF affects the unit.   My To Do List has adding few turns
of the control wiring between the attic/outdoor unit on a larger ferrite donut.

The "Shop" has a LARGE new window AC unit.

The RF from the full sized 80 meter vertical affects it

Turns window AC on in middle of winter, dark outside...

Immediate action:  turn off the power to 220V window unit and open 120Vac
breaker to wiring nearest the 80 meter vertical.

Long term:  relocate or remove that vertical.

Recently installed three new mini-splits including one in the ham shack.

Some RF hash noticed.

Each one different size.  two from Amazon, one from Walmart.

My To Do List is to install a few turns of the control wiring between the
outdoor/indoor unit on a large ferrite donut

These babies do make "hash".    It's not bad but if you're working for RFI
quiet location, you'll need to add some ferrite donuts

and I do notice the noise on 50Mhz - it's distinctly different than power line
60hz buzz.

Good Luck...  I have a new one here

it's about 5to10khz wide and moves in and out of FT8 window at 50.313

Generally strongest when the yagi is pointing toward clear field!

Odd....

The video is stored on Amazon photos...

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/SBba8h-aTLKlHTqPj9pwIQ.lFkhFObHgqg7kUlKZ68FWP

how's it work?

73 Robert W5AJ

On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 6:00 PM <n...@earthlink.net <mailto:n...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:

The time has come to replace my 19 year old air conditioner at the house. I am
considering the choices of 2-speed vs. variable speed. Has anyone out there had
any bad experiences with variable speed AC units generating RF noise
interference, what you did about it if you had it, what brands are good vs. not
so good on this issue? Also looking at 17 SEER vs. 20 SEER…quite a price
difference… (My old one is 13 SEER).

Any input would be appreciated.

73,

Allen R. Brier N5XZ