Mark Crispin wrote:

> What are the exact messages (no paraphrasing)?

About to open folder "INBOX"    inbox: "INBOX"
IMAP 10:54:43 7/5 mm_log babble: Trying IP address [ip.ad.dr.es]
IMAP 10:55:13 7/5 mm_log ERROR: Connection failed to
server.example.com,143: Operation timed out

> So you replaced your RedHat-modified imapd in the example you posted with an
> unmodified UW imapd?

Yes.

>>I can ping the routers at each location (from the other).  I can even send
>>mail from the sites that can't access IMAP, using sendmail (with
>>authentication) running on that same server.  I can ssh into it, too.  Just
>>IMAP seems to fail.
>>

> Is there a NAT box in the path that may be interpreting IMAP?

There are NAT boxes, certainly.  But I have good sites working with NAT,
too.  Nothing that should be 'interpreting IMAP'.

> If the client is Windows based, is there virus-scanning software on the client
> that may be interpreting IMAP?
>
> Not long ago, I had a strange SMTP problem that turned out to be due to Norton
> Anti-Virus on the affected PC.  The perceived problem at the client was that
> the SMTP server advertised STARTTLS, but then refused to do the command.  It
> turned out that Norton was to blame.

Mark, you're too busy to be dealing with this, really.

I'm in agreement with you: I don't think uw-imap is at fault.  But to answer your
question, I've tried Win with Netscape and OE, Mac (9 and OSX) and Linux with pine.
Doesn't change the scenario.

Thanks again for all of your help!
--
Ed Marczak