Quoting Mark Crispin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> You can append to a null stream, or to a stream open on another mailbox.
> Note that a closed stream (mail_close() called on it) is no longer valid and
> has been free()d.
>
> In general, you only should provide a non-null stream if you are using
> IMAP, and already have a stream open to the IMAP server for the APPEND
> destination mailbox.  In that case, c-client will use that stream instead of
> making a temporary stream.

OK, thanks a lot. I can provide you a patch against the docu to have that
documented there. Are you interested?

And if I append a message to an open IMAP stream than the same will happen,
the mail will recieve the "Status: O" flag or not? Because when syncing I don't
want to bother the user with re-entering the password. I want to be able to ask
him/her once and then to sync.

> > Btw - I note that pine apparently falls into the same pithole as me,
> > since if I write a message to myself from within pine it gets "Status: O",
> > even before I even see it in the index.
>
> I just tested it in Pine.  I saved a message to a new mailbox.  It did not
> get the "Status: O" flag.

Um - I'm in my local INBOX and I send mail (through the normal MTA (=exim))
locally to myself (tpo@localhost). I won't see the message since I don't press
cursor down at the bottom of the INBOX page. Next I quit pine and have a look
through an editor at my /var/spool/mail/tpo inbox. And I see that "Status: O"
is set there.

*t