On 3 Feb 2003 at 15:30, Mark Crispin wrote:

> Check to see what the first five bytes of the file are.  If there are
> anything other than "From ", that's your problem; fix that and then retry.
They aren't From lines :-(

> If you have any other problems, please contact me directly and I'll help
> you resolve the problem.

It actually looks like the entire mbox file is corrupted as viewing it in any
editor, vi or joe (my prefered editor) shows most of the 30mb as binary, or
at least non standard ascii. It's all funny characters, and inverse video
etc. There are 3 or 4 normal ascii messages at the end of the file though,
but most of it is toast as far as I can tell.  The copy I made of all the
mbox files before conversion also exhibits the same issue, so off to the tape
backup we go. Hopefully the corruption happened recently and doesn't go too
far back in the tape rotation.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting