On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Nick Birren wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to connect to a
> proprietary-protocol email server and expose IMAP functionality.  I do
> not wish to import all emails into a flat-file and feed it into the IMAP
> server, but rather integrate to it by implementing some pre-defined
> interface that the IMAP server will use (and will, on the other end, act
> as a client for the proprietary server).

This certainly can be done, and relatively easily in UW (not "WU") IMAP.
What you need to do is write a c-client driver that is a client for your
proprietary-protocol email server.  That way, imapd would be a client of
your proprietary-protocol email server; just as imapd can be a client of a
POP3, NNTP, or another IMAP server today.

The tricky thing is deciding how to pass authentication credentials from
the end user to your proprietary-protocol email server.  There's code now
to pass the same userid and password as was used to log in to the IMAP
server, but perhaps you might want to do something better than that.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.