On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Sahil Tandon wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 09:53:12AM +0100, Clive McDowell wrote:
>
> > mailutil move /var/mail/joesoap #driver.mbx/home/joesoap/INBOX
> >
> > Are there any other options?
>
> AFAIK, if an emtpy mbx format INBOX exists in /home/$user/INBOX, an imap
> connection to the server will cause the mbx driver to "automatically snarf" the
> contents of /var/mail/$user -> /home/$user/INBOX.

(Note: talking about "mbx" (without the 'o') format.)

Is there any reason why "/var/mail/$user" (usually in trad. UNIX format)
cannot itself be in "mbx" format?  (Trying it as such seems not to work,
and this seems to be confirmed by the "docs/drivers.txt" description.)

It would be useful to us if our inboxes could continue to be in the
normal, non-home "/var/mail" area, but in (optional) "mbx" format.  Any
philosophical reasons why this (so it seems) is not possible?

Thanks in advance.