On 3/6/20, 12:01 AM, "Boris Kolpackov" <bo...@codesynthesis.com> wrote:

> Just to confirm my understanding, you would like to create the 3.2-series
> branch in order to release 3.2.3 with some cherry-picked commits, correct?

That's the intended branch, but the purpose isn't to immediately release a
3.2.3, it's to enable some amount of future work that would have to be done as
a 3.3, without preventing another 3.2 patch.

> If so, I am wondering why not instead go ahead and release master as 3.3?

There isn't any specific ommitment to do the work on a particular schedule.
Since the current set of committers are all largely not able to work steadily
on Xerces, it was a way of allowing work that somebody wanted to do to happen
on whatever schedule they can manage so that if they happen to have some time,
there's nothing stopping them.

Normally I wouldn't be keen to branch now if the next patch was to 3.2, but
because the changes are so minimal now, maintaining patches to two branches
would not be very much work.

-- Scott