Cantor, Scott <canto...@osu.edu> writes:

> I may have mispoke in that issue too: is there any formal definition of
> which include directories are "API" and which should be off limits for
> library clients?

I am not aware though from the names internal/ and dom/impl/ should be
off-limits while everything else is probably fair game.

> I'm not aware of any such documentation so my impression is compatibly
> changing any callable or inheritable API (thus the ABI) would be a minor
> bump.

The documentation is in "What are the release policies for Xerces-C++?":

https://xerces.apache.org/xerces-c/faq-contributing-3.html#faq-2

In summary, patch releases are ABI-compatible, minor -- API compatible
but not necessarily ABI-compatible (thus dependents must be recompiled),
and major are API-breaking.