Woohoo! :) Cela marche!

Yes, on one hand: in the first place I didn't have all of the cactus
jars in the JBoss paths as I was afraid they would mess with the JBoss
ones (httpclient), but #2 it was the three jars that I left in the JBoss
directory (with duplicates in WEB-INF/lib) that were messing things up.

Keeping things clean, I don't put anything in CLASSPATH.

Vince, clue me in... how do You find such bugs, is it just one of those
"hunches" given the stack trace?

I suppose if I placed _all_ (replacing ?old? JBoss ones) cactus jars at
the JBoss scope it should work too (?). Wouldn't replacing the older
version of commons-httpclient break JBoss? I now have to look into how
to ant'ify the testing process; will look on the net as You suggested.

Yes, the book is great, coming in very handy. I intend to use your
PetStore version as my M.A.Sc of Eng. Thesis case-study :D

Merci Beaucoup,
Mike