> I posted a couple of things there yesterday.

Are you 'wunder', then?

> I was trying to do an
> install on perl 5.6, but I ran into a whole bunch of dependancy
> issues with some of the modules that CAF requires, so I eventually
> gave up on that particular machine.  Is there an established minimum
> version of perl required to get everything installed?

If you open up the Build.PL at the top level of the CAF tarball then you'll see
most of the modules in the 'requires' block have '0' as the required version
number, meaning "I don't care what version you have as long as you have it."
Clearly, this is wrong.  Any given one of these modules has probably gone
through dozens of version releases, and no doubt the 0.01 versions of the
modules aren't sufficient for CAF purposes, or any purpose probably.

But what can Michael and I do?  It's not like we have an array of testing
machines in our respective basements and build scripts and environments set up
to test every conceivable permutation of CPAN module release *and* an
infinitely-good test harness suite so that we can say "here is the minimum base
case required for CAF".  (Michael actually gave a talk about this at TPF during
the lightning talks in September.)

The same goes for Perl.  I'm a Perl guy so I keep my Perl up to date, e.g.

debian:~# perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.7 built for i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi

Copyright 1987-2005, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

debian:~# dpkg --list perl
ii  perl           5.8.7-8        Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and Report

This is pretty damn new.  What is the min version of Perl required?  I have no
idea.  This is what I have on my machine, I only own one computer, and I keep it
up to date.  I imagine Michael is in a similar situation.

We rely on users to provide us with error reports.  If something didn't work for
you, let us know and we'll include it in the 'require' block in Build.PL.

Getting back to your dependancy issues, what kind of dependancy issues were
these?  The presence (or lack) of C libraries?  (That's a special kind of
dependacy issue.)  Post your error log from your CPAN module install here and we
can provide insight into how to overcome it, hopefully.

Cheers,
Richard