I am just getting into Cake, and I really like it so far. It is going
to speed up some of the work I do. Here is my problem though.

I run a VPS, and since I have clients hosting with us, it's probably a
good idea to keep the cake/cake files in a central place, so I put them
in /usr/local/lib/php/cake/.

I have a client, we'll say his name is Jim. I am going to be running an
admin tool for him, so I want http://www.jim.com/admin/ to be the site
root for the cake app.

Jim's web files live at /home/jim/public_html/
So Jim's admin is at /home/jim/public_html/admin/
Jim's cake app is at /home/jim/public_html/admin/app/
Jim's 'webroot' folder is at /home/jim/public_html/admin/app/webroot/

Does that make sense?

Anyhow, I can get cake to say everything is ok, but mod_rewrite doesn't
seem to be working. My base site http://www.jim.com/admin/ comes up
with proper content, but all the CSS and images are missing. I have
changed my routes.php to see if my controller was working (and it is),
but if I go to http://www.jim.com/admin/controller_name/ I get a 404
error, as if the server is not re-writing the URL at all.

I have modified my /home/public_html/admin/app/webroot/index.php as
follows:

if (!defined('ROOT'))
{
//define('ROOT', 'FULL PATH TO DIRECTORY WHERE APP DIRECTORY IS LOCATED
DO NOT ADD A TRAILING DIRECTORY SEPARATOR';
//You should also use the DS define to seperate your directories
    define('ROOT', DS.'home'.DS.'jim'.DS.'public_html'.DS.'admin');
}

if (!defined('APP_DIR'))
{
//define('APP_DIR', 'DIRECTORY NAME OF APPLICATION';
    define ('APP_DIR', basename(dirname(dirname(__FILE__))));
}

/**
 * This only needs to be changed if the cake installed libs are located
 * outside of the distributed directory structure.
 */
if (!defined('CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH'))
{
//define ('CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH', FULL PATH TO DIRECTORY WHERE CAKE
CORE IS INSTALLED DO NOT ADD A TRAILING DIRECTORY$
//You should also use the DS define to seperate your directories
    define('CAKE_CORE_INCLUDE_PATH', '/usr/local/lib/php/cake');
}

I followed the documentation in the manual, but I can't figure out
what's going on.

Thanks for any help!